Friday, April 8, 2011

2 Month MRI

Its been a while since I updated but during that time Jake was doing fairly well.  He has been very active and all around doing good.  Two days ago he started showing signs that he wasn't feeling well.  A few times he yelped as if in pain but I couldn't narrow it down to what was bothering him.  Then Thursday night we woke up at 4am and just could not get comfortable.  He was awake for an hour and a half trying to get comfortable and shaking so I called the on call vet and he decided to meet me at the office and check him out.  After some blood work and drugs he recommended we get his MRI as soon as possible.  He was originally scheduled to go next Friday but we were able to go in yesterday and get it done.
So I headed to Yonkers with Jake to meet with Dr. Joseph, the doc who initially diagnosed Jake with the brain tumor.  He gave Jake a initial exam and confirmed he was having issues on his right side, opposite the side of the tumor.  This was the first sign that things weren't good.  He then went in for the MRI.
A few hours later I was given the bad news.  Jake's tumor had fully returned and was actually slightly bigger than before the surgery.  In a matter of 2 months it was back.  I was devastated and couldn't have gotten worse news.  I spoke with Dr. Pluhar and she was also amazed with the speed of his particular tumor.  To make things worse, Jake actually received the gene therapy and not the placebo in the clinical trial.  His tumor was so aggressive that the gene therapy and chemo both failed to keep it in check.  Jenn and I are both truly saddened by this and don't know how much longer we have with him but we do know that we will cherish every last moment that we do.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear this news. Jake is in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely devastated for you and Jenn. While I don't know you I certainly relate to what you must be going through. I had so thought that things would have gone well for Jake. You will all be in my thoughts !!!

    ReplyDelete